Holy Cross is Grade 1 Listed and dates mostly from the 15th century.
Since 1547 when Holy Cross was bought from HenryVIII for the sum of £200 by the townspeople of Crediton it has been owned, on their behalf, by a Corporation of twelve Governors who are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the building.
Holy Cross is widely regarded as one of the finest parish churches in England and receives many visitors from the United Kingdom and overseas due to its connections with St Boniface.
The existing lighting system was old and dysfunctional with many sections of the wiring being condemned and disconeccted which led to the majority of the church events being held in an atmosphere of Stygian gloom.
All of the lighting in the main body of the church has been replaced together with the power circuits, ancillary electrics and the external lighting.
The challenge presented by the building fabric was considerable, and the organisation of the cable runs to achieve minimum visibility and intervention into the historic fabric has been a major consideration.
Careful positioning of cables together with painting of both light fittings and visible wiring has resulted in a very discreet and sensitive installation.
The result is a flexible, effective and dramatic lighting installation to enhance both architectural features and liturgical activities.
Church spokesman, Bill Jerman said:
"The new lighting scheme, designed and installed by Anthony J Smith (Gloucester) Ltd, has been a much needed and significant improvement.
Throughout the project everyone from Anthony J Smith (Gloucester) Ltd has shown much empathy and understanding for the building and its enviroment. They have provided an energy efficient, flexible and quality lighting installation with the ability to keep the inevitable disruption to an absolute minimum."
DON'T STAY IN THE DARK! CALL US ON 01453 825 130